db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Charles Laurent <jclaur...@jeancoutu.com>
Subject Question: How to start Derby from a remote address
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:52:35 GMT
Hi

I am tring to start the Derby Database to listen on a given port on a
remote machin. Let say I am on my window PC called 'myMachin'
IP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. I want to start Derby to listen on another window
machine called 'otherMachin' IP=yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy.

If I logon to 'otherMachin' and lauch the following command all works
fine:

        java -cp CLASSPATH org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl
start -h 0.0.0.0  -p 1527

Then I can create the database and several client applications can
retrieve, insert, update and delete information stored in the database.

What I want to do is to start the server from 'myMachin' as I cannot logon
to the actual server and run the script local to the machin. I have tried
several option but I alway get an error "Cannot list on 'otherMachin' on
port 1527".

here is

        java -cp CLASSPATH org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl
start -h otherMachin  -p 1527
or
        java -cp CLASSPATH org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl
start -h yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy  -p 1527

My CLASSPATH is ".;./vendor/lib/derby.jar;./vendor/lib/derbynet.jar".

Is this possible to do, or do we need to be on the local host to start the
server?
If this is possible what am I doing wrong?
If it is not possible, I've seen some post for Linux, where they suggest
using ssh to remote connect to the linux box where the Database resides
and the server must listen. What would be the equivalent for Windows?

Thanks for any help.

Jean-Charles Laurent