db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey Clary" <jcl...@actuate.com>
Subject Heap container closed exception (2 statements on same connection)
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:00:42 GMT
I am working on an application that is taking an exception iterating a
result set after a different statement on the same connection commits.
Holdability on the connection is set to HOLD_CURSORS_OVER_COMMIT and
autocommit is true.  The ResultSet.next() method does not take an
exception the first time it is called after the other statement commits,
but rather gets some number of (cached?) rows before taking this
exception:

java.sql.SQLException: The heap container with container id
Container(-1, 1173965368428) is closed.

I have duplicated the problem in a small Java program attached to this
email.  This is the first time I have posted to this mailing list, so if
the attachment doesn't work, I will repost and include the Java code
inline.  Note that the exception is related to the amount of data in the
result set, so you may have to change the values in main() to get it to
throw the exception.

Is this a bug, or is it expected behavior?  What I have been able to
find on the holdability attribute suggests that the result set should be
OK after the second statement commits.  However, there are a few
messages in the list archive that suggest I am not the first to
encounter this.  By the way, if holdability on the connection is set to
CLOSE_CURSORS_AT_COMMIT then the very next call to ResultSet.next()
throws an  exception indicating the result set (not the backing store)
is closed, as expected.

On a more general note, is it a bad idea to be using more than one
statement on the same connection, even if the holdability attribute is
set to keep result sets around through commits?

Thanks,

Jeff Clary