db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah_akk...@yahoo.com>
Subject pageCache size
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:10:03 GMT
in my application i read data once compute and cache it myself it is
never read again so my initial thought  was dropping pageCache to a
minimum ( 40 pages ) to save memory but since then i rewrite my query
to use only the index  i am not hitting the tables at all. so my
concern is if i increase the pageCache to its original value or
possible more does it increase the performance of selects since i am
not hitting the table particularly one select i describe below. i do
not want to mess with the system before having an idea of its effects.

table is around 30 gb 15 byte records one composite index includes
all columns that is the main index my application uses selects based
on an integer value. and it returns 100k to 2 million records. right
now i can read  million rows under 10 seconds.

thx...