db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Setting the environment variables for Derby
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:53:59 GMT
On 3/28/07, Laura Stewart <scotsmatrix@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/28/07, John H. Embretsen <John.Embretsen@sun.com> wrote:
> > Correct, you need to add the bin directory to the PATH variable for it
> > to work from "anywhere". For example as described in the Getting Started
> > guide, http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/getstart/tgssetupjavaenvir.html.
>
> Can you help me understand the last part of setting for the PATH. I
> understand the first part
> %DERBY_HOME%\bin;
>
> What I don't understand in the docs is the last part
> %PATH%
>
> If I already have DERBY_HOME set what does %PATH% do?

That adds the current value of the PATH variable to the end of the new
setting for the PATH variable. If you don't do this, then only the
Derby scripts will be in your path, and other important and necessary
system executables will not be in your path and thus will not be
runnable in your shell environment. Not a very useful situation to be
in, since the Derby scripts rely on some of those system executables
and would not be runnable without access to them either.

andrew