db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "John H. Embretsen" <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Setting the environment variables for Derby
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:08:59 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> I guess I thought that when I used the set command it would override
> it. Apparently it does not.

That may be, I'm not fully aware of all the intricacies of setting
environment variables in Windows yet ;) I'm glad you got it working!

> I can run sysinfo, however I can only run it when I am in the bin
> sub-directory. Is that the correct behavior? I guess I was expecting
> that I could run it from any directory... or do I need to add the
> C:\Derby_10\db-derby-10.2.2.0-bin\bin directory to my PATH variable
> before I can run it anywhere?

Correct, you need to add the bin directory to the PATH variable for it
to work from "anywhere". For example as described in the Getting Started
guide, http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/getstart/tgssetupjavaenvir.html.

> Since I am working on updating the Derby documentation, would it be
> worth mentioning that you can only run the sysinfo script from the bin
> sub-directory?

The Derby scripts are invoked in the same way as any other script or
program, so I don't think you need to add anything in that regard. You
either have to be in the directory where the script is located, or use a
full path (relative or absolute) to the scripts, or set the PATH
environment variable appropriately.

--
John