db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "John H. Embretsen" <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Setting the environment variables for Derby
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:11:38 GMT
> I tried setting the DERBY_HOME env var directly in the command window
> (instead of through the Control Panel).  I still get an error, which
> is:
>
>     C:\Derby_10\db-derby-10.2.2.0-bin\bin>sysinfo
>     DERBY_HOME is set incorrectly or derby.jar could not be located.
> Please set
>     DERBY_HOME.
>     The system cannot find the batch label specified - end
>     '""' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>     operable program or batch file.
>     C:\Derby_10\db-derby-10.2.2.0-bin\bin>
>
> So now I am wondering if my problem is with the derby.jar file...

I can reproduce this error message, but only if I set DERBY_HOME to an
invalid value (e.g. c:\temp)... I don't think it has anything to do with
derby.jar, since the script exited before getting as far as actually
launching java. What is the output when you do

c:\> echo %DERBY_HOME%
?

Try opening a new command window, cd to the bin\ directory of your Derby
installation, and try running the sysinfo script without setting
DERBY_HOME first. This should work on Windows (works for me on Win XP,
same path as yours).

Regardless, I suspect there is a bug in the derby_common.bat script
(which is called by the sysinfo script), because the label "end" that is
used/called after displaying "DERBY_HOME is set incorrectly or derby.jar
could not be located. Please set DERBY_HOME." does not seem to exist. In
any case, this should not be the reason why you are not being able to
run sysinfo.

--
John