db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "John H. Embretsen" <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Setting the derby.system.home in the url
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:11:24 GMT
David Harrigan wrote:
> Hi,
> Understand, but that doesn't answer why properties such as logDevice etc...
> are allowed to be passed in on every url connection.

That is because, as far as I know, the properties (attributes) you can
set in the connection URL affects that one database only, not the entire
Derby system. The derby.system.home property (and others) are
system-wide, hence affecting all databases in that system (same JVM).

> It would be nice that
> *if* set from the url it uses that in the static field, otherwise it
> defaults to whatever
> value is presently there. It would make development easier. No?

Yes, it would be easier in some use cases (especially single-user
systems), but it might complicate things in others. If I was setting the
system home via the URL, I think I would like to know if it actually
took effect or not...

Of course, you are welcome to create a Jira issue requesting such a
feature, perhaps work on implementing it yourself, and see if any other
Derby developers want to chime in on the subject :)

View raw message