db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem with view's and optimizer
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:36:53 GMT
Hi Prashanth,

> I create a complex view fine through ij (or even calling an sql script)
> but when I try to select the data from the view (select server_id from
> server_table;) it gives me a "ERROR XJ001: Java exception: ':
> java.lang.NullPointerException' " error.

This certainly looks like a bug in Derby.  Can you indicate what version of
Derby you are using (ex. run "java org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo" and post the
results)?  Also, do you have an example to reproduce this error that you can share?

Generally speaking the more information you can provide--database version, DDL,
or even the specific database if possible--the more likely it will be that
someone in the community--and maybe you yourself!--can investigate and resolve
this issue.

If you are using the latest released version of Derby 10.1 then it would be
great if you could create a Jira issue for this and attach any relevant
information to that issue.  See:

   http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html

If you'd like to investigate this problem more by joining the development
community and working on a fix yourself, that would be even better :)  There is
quite a bit of help available from the Apache Derby website, the Derby wiki, and
of course people already in the Derby community.  Don't be shy: feel free to ask
whatever questions you have.

"Derby Development"
   => http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev
   => See esp. "Getting Started on Development"

"Information for new developers"
   => http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForNewDevelopers
   => See esp. "Check out, build the code, and run the tests"

Thank you for taking the time to report this!
Army