db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Setting the derby.system.home in the url
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:22:42 GMT
David Harrigan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any technical reason why it can't be possible to do this?
>
> jdbc:derby:media;systemHome=/tmp
>
> which would be used as the derby.system.home. I notice there are other
> similar values, e.g., logging...
>
> It would make development nicer when using JPA, so I can just pass in this
> rather than having to put a -Dderby.system.home in my jvm...
>
> Anyone like to offer up a comment?

Well, my hunch is that you cannot do this because derby.system.home is a static,
system-wide property. Only the URL used for booting the Derby system can be
allowed to set the system home this way, if support for this had been
implemented. Subsequent connection attempts using the same URL would either have
to return with an error (exception) or silently ignore the "systemHome" attribute.

--
John