db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby minimum size tweaking: how far can I go?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:51:45 GMT

> I have an hard limit of 255 storage entities, files and directories. Is
> it possible to make derby work for a medium size database (10-20 tables,
> 10-100k records) with this limit?

An empty database with just system tables etc has less than 70
files/directories.  Then you will use a few log files and maybe some
property files so I would say that you will have about 175 files
available for your own data.  The database will use one extra file for
each table and index you create.  Do you need to do backups to the same
system?  In that case, you will need to be able to store more than one
copy of each file.

--
Øystein