db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Problems running JavaDB on Windows
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:58:44 GMT
Dan Weems wrote:
> Hi
> I'm getting a very strange reaction when I try running any of the
> scripts that comes with JavaDB/Derby.  If I run either "sysinfo" or "ij"
> from the command prompt, I get the following message:
>
> 'C:\Documents' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> '""' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file.
>
> If I echo %DERBY_HOME% I get:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\My Documents\Software\javadb
>
> My impression from the above is that your scripts do not allow spaces in
> the directory names.  But spaces are legal.  What gives?

I get the same error message if I try to run (for example) sysinfo.bat from a
Derby (or Java DB) installation with spaces in the path. However, if I put
double quotes around the CALL to the derby_common.bat script, it works.

So I recommend changing

CALL %~dp0derby_common.bat %*

CALL "%~dp0derby_common.bat %*"

in the scripts you use and see if that helps.

If it does, we should probably log a Jira issue for it [1] and provide a patch,
to avoid this situation in the future.

--
John

[1] http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html