db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Network Client/Server BLOB
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:29:26 GMT
Raymond Kroeker wrote:
> I have encountered some entries in the mailing list suggesting that
> large BLOB content is not supported when using the
> network client/server.  By not supported I mean either the client or the
> server run out of memory when the content is
> sufficiently large.
>
> My own tests on version 10.2.2.0 <http://10.2.2.0> suggest that this is
> not the case; however I wanted to know if anyone can provide a
> confirmation one way or another of this.  Thanks.

Hello Raymond,

 From your mail I understand that you are able to use sufficiently large
BLOBs for you purpose with Derby 10.2.2.0 in client/server mode.
Would you mind telling us a little more about your use of Derby?

Quite some work has been done to remove problems with LOB handling in
Derby, and more work is being done as we speek (implementing
LOCATOR-based handling of LOBs).
That said, I'm not sure we are exactly where we want to be in Derby
10.2.2.0.

A few questions;
   1) How big are your BLOBs?
   2) Do you both insert and retrieve them from/on the client?
   3) What are your JVM settings? (heap size)

As far as confirmation goes, I have tested embedded earlier with 2GB-1
LOBs without out-of-memory problems. I am under the impression that
stream data still has to be materialized on the client before it is sent
to the server.
Can anyone else confirm this?
Will the LOCATOR-work fix the issue?

regards,