db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Connection reset
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:57:57 GMT
> sometimes i get a Connection reset (i'm also investigating why this
> happens but i think i've found a problem with derby) when calling a
> remote derby db. the connection is closed but the transaction is still
> in progress (see last table at the bottom of the mail).

I think that a Connection Reset can mean that the client was
terminated abruptly without closing all its Statement and Connection
objects. That is, it just hard-closed the TCP/IP connection without
closing all the JDBC resources first.

When that happens, I think that the server will eventually figure
out that the connection has been closed, and will abort the
in-progress transaction. I am not sure how long it will take for the
server to figure this out. Perhaps it depends on how the network
is configured.

Does the behavior that you are seeing differ from this?

thanks,

bryan