db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby problem
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:05:59 GMT
Valentin Cozma wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am using derby version 10.2.2.0 .
> One of my clients ( the one with the largest database, around 70 MB )
> has the following problem :
>
> - tries to add something into the application, the application does the
> job in about 5-10 minutes. It is a very simple task and should take less
> than 1 second. It adds a receipt in the database. Processor is 100 % used.
> - after deleting all the receipts, the application performs the same
> operation normally.
>
> I checked the application , I seems correct.
> I checked on windows and linux, no permission problems.
> Other sections of the applications perform correctly.
> I checked in both embedded and network server mode, same problem.
> I checked with the debugger, the most "used" code is in Derby, something
> like "PlainSocket" .
>
> Questions :
> - Anybody had a similar problem ?
> - Is this related to the size of the database ?
> - Does it seem like a bug in Derby ?

Hello Valentin,

I can't see a reason for this behavior based on your description. The
database size should not be a problem, Derby is running with databases
in the gigabyte range. However, how the data is used and which queries
are issued against it are major factors.

Can you tell us what the failing queries look like?

Further, which Java VM are you running on and what is the version of
your VM?

I am not able to find a class named PlainSocket in Derby. Could it be a
problem in the JVM you are using?

This could very well be a bug in Derby, but I don't understand the
problem good enough yet to judge that. If you get no helping answers
relatively quick, you could create a Jira issue and attach more
information there (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY).

> I can provide the database if required.

If it's a Derby bug this might be very helpful, but I don't think it is
required yet. The best thing is a small reproduction application/script
for the issue.

regards,
--
Kristian