db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: How to execute optimizer overrides in a java app
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:56:24 GMT
> In my post I should have said "I also showed two queries that are
> expected to get syntax errors." --I'm not sure that sample invalid
> syntax needs to be put into the docs.
>
> Is there any feedback on using the "\r" ? In the back of my mind I'm
> thinking that won't be portable between Windows and Unix.

I've wondered about this syntax in the past, so I'm happy to see
you exploring the details of its behavior. Thanks!

Perhaps you could package up your various example queries as a complete
test program, and then add it to the test suite, and then we'd run
it on lots of different platforms. That would help us figure out if
there are any platforms where it doesn't work.

Having a regression test for this would also:
1) Capture the sample invalid syntax in the tests, which is maybe a
better place for it to live than in the docs
2) Ensure that the documented behavior continued to work, and didn't
accidentally get broken at some point in the future.

I guess this is a long way to say that I think you've written a
valuable new regression test, and to encourage you to contribute
it to the test suite.

thanks,

bryan