db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Back End Database Files [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:44:02 GMT
The safest thing to do is to follow the documented ways to backup a
database.  Once the database has been backed up in a supported manner
then that backup can be moved to any machine you want - the files
are system independent.

Without using the supported ways it is quite easy to get inconsistent
versions of the files leading to various db corruptions.  This is
especially easy if you try to copy files while any access to the db
is going on (since you see a db.lck file it could easily be that
the copy is happening while the db is active).  10.2 provides online
backup which provides a supported way to backup the database
concurrently with active work happening in the database.