db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jose de Castro <jose.decas...@voxeo.com>
Subject Re: Question: How to start Derby from a remote address
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 00:43:15 GMT
Jean,

I believe that you can start/stop a service remotely on Windows NT+ if
the target macine is running Netsvc.exe
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/166819). One idea would be to logon to
the remote machine and register the database startup script as a Windows
service. From that point on, you can use NetSvc to remotely manage your
Derby Network server. You may also want to consider using
JavaServiceWrapper (http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org) since it provides
a clean way to "shutdown" Java processes when stopped by the NT service
manager. The last thing you want is for your database to be corrupted by
forcibly killing the process.