db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Working with Derby Java version verification question
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2007 01:43:10 GMT
Hi Laura -
It's not obsolete, verifying that when you type 'java -version' you do
not get an error is a good idea and all that is needed.  Setting
JAVA_HOME is no longer required to perform the exercises as shown in
final version of Working with Derby.  Replacing the command examples for
running IJ, starting Network Server, etc. with derbyrun.jar syntax
eliminated the need to set JAVA_HOME.  Originally the syntax examples
used the scripts in frameworks  - these require that JAVA_HOME be set -
to see what I mean look at:
  DERBY_INSTALL\frameworks\NetworkServer\bin\startNetworkServer.bat  or
  DERBY_INSTALL\frameworks\NetworkServer\bin\ij.bat
  DERBY_INSTALL\frameworks\embedded\bin\ij.bat

That was changed after much of the document was completed - derbyrun.jar
greatly simplified the syntax used to execute the commands and now the
only prerequisite for performing the exercises is a working JVM that can
be invoked by typing the command 'java' (e.g. is installed and in your
command path).  Installing JAVA and setting up the environment is
something I did not have time to address in the original release of WWD
so it was made a prerequisite.