db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Working with Derby Java version verification question
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 23:17:31 GMT
Top posting:
I think you are correct, Laura, this section can be removed  when
Working With Derby (WWD) and Getting Started are merged.  In fact, I
don't think WWD will suffer if it were removed prior to the merge (but
that seems like it might be unnecessary work).  The 'Introduction and
Prerequisites' section has become an unimportant artifact since the
derbyrun.jar was added to the system.  Originally the exercises
described using the scripts in the framework subdirectories, these
relied on JAVA_HOME being set and insuring this was the main purpose of
the initial section.  After derbyrun.jar was created a quick rewrite was
done but the need for the initial chapter was not revisited.

It might be good if information on setting up and verifying the JAVA
installation were added to the 'Setting up your environment' section of
the Getting Started Guide but I don't see it covered anywhere in the
manual currently.  Because of all the platform related issues related to
setting up the software I opted not to cover this in Working With Derby
(WWD).