db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "John (john@foobox.com)" <reachj...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about Working With Derby Manual, v10.2
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 01:55:32 GMT
I'm working on Activity 3 of the Working With Derby manual (v10.2 - doc
build March 6, 2007, 8:31:05 PM PST).

I'm playing around with the WwwEmbedded.java class and am running into some
problems. I can get the program running per the instructions on pages 17 and
18 of the manual. If I enter a "wished item" greater than 32 characters, an
exception is thrown (per the note on page 21). My assumption is that this
maximum length constraint is due to line 50 of WwwEmbedded.java in which the
length of the WISH_ITEM varchar is defined to have a maximum length of 32. I
changed this length to a much higher value (e.g., 256) but after recompiling
and rerunning, I still have the maximum constraint of 32 characters. Is this
correct? Is this due to an inherent constraint on java.sql.PreparedStatement?
Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
John

--