db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Luigi Lauro <luigi.la...@gmail.com>
Subject Derby minimum size tweaking: how far can I go?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:23:54 GMT
Since I got no answers on the dev ML, and since this is probably more
a 'user' question, I'm posting thise here.

Given my discoveries in: http://thread.gmane.org/
gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.devel/39038 , I'm now trying to shrink
Derby into a minimum-size database, both as storage space, and as
number of files/directories.

How can I configure derby to reach this goal? Ideally, I would love
to disable EVERY unneeded file/feature, in order to have derby write
to disk the least possible number of files and for the minimum disk
space possible.

By default, I see ~5MB gets created at start with just a few empty
tables, both by logs and datafiles. Also, 30+ files get created.

I have an hard limit of 255 storage entities, files and directories.
Is it possible to make derby work for a medium size database (10-20
tables, 10-100k records) with this limit?

Also, how far can I go with the size shrinking? Can I get a 10-20
tables empty database under the 100k mark? JNLP has a default maximum
size of 256k before asking the user for more with a popup, can I stay
below that threshold with an empty database by tweaking variables and
disabling unneeded features?

If so, how?

Thanks in advance,

Luigi