db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Anders Morken <ander...@stud.ntnu.no>
Subject Re: out of memory when writing blobs
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:34:53 GMT
Anders Morken:
>  [...] the page size (Seemed to be 32K in this case [...]

Aha. Those 32 kilobyte pages were "overflow pages", created to hold
rows that won't fit on a regular page. The regular pages were 4
kilobytes, the default size, but obviously those 6 megabyte blobs had
to be split across a few overflow pages. =)

That explains why blob workloads suddenly consume a lot more memory than
regular workloads with few (if any) overflow pages. Maybe this is
common knowledge, but I just hadn't realized. =)

Sorry for the noise, just wanted to clear up (my own) confusion. =)

--
Anders Morken

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right!