db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Segel" <mse...@mycingular.blackberry.net>
Subject Re: Import data from large Oracle table
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:49:08 GMT
Well...

You could open a connection to your oracle database, then open a connection to your derby
database.

Select from oracle and then insert into derby...
(You could build on this to add commits and table locking...)

You could write your own loader to use a single thread to read from the flat file and have
multiple writers to the database. (Simple mutex solution.)

Sent via BlackBerry.

-Mike Segel
Principal
MSCC
312 952 8175

-----Original Message-----
From: "Sedillo, Derek \(Mission Systems\)" <Derek.Sedillo@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:19:00
To:"Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Subject: Import data from large Oracle table

Hello,

I have several large Oracle tables (2+ million records) which I need to import data from to
Derby.  Here is what I have tried so far:

1.  I have dumped the data to comma separated flat files.
2.  Used the import table utility like this:
    CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE (null,'SSJ_CNT','SSJ_CNT.csv',null, null,null,0);

3.  After '4 hours' of running it appears to have frozen up.  There is both a db.lck and
dbex.lck file present which I will delete soon.

Do you think that 2 million records is just too much for this utility to handle?  Is there
a better way to transfer data from another database besides the IMPORT_TABLE utility?

Thank you for any ideas or experiences you have had with importing data from another DB.

Derek Sedillo
SWAFS DBA / Software Engineer
Northrop Grumman Missions Systems
Tel: (719) 570-8256