db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Inns, Jeff" <ji...@extol.com>
Subject INPLACE Table Compression
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:27:56 GMT
I've been trying to use the "SYSCS_INPLACE_TABLE_COMPRESSION (SCHEMA,
TABLE, 1, 1, 1)" with the intent of recovering disk space and reducing
the size of the "*.dat" files.  Our database has grown quite big, as the
combined size of the five largest ".dat" files is about 2 GB.  I have
deleted all of the records in each of the tables, but when I run the
"Inplace" Compression utility, no disk space is recovered and the size
of the "*.dat" files is not reduced..  I have had success using the
other compression utility "SYSCS_TABLE_COMPRESSION(SCHEMA, TABLE, 1)".
The version of the DB is 10.1.2.  Any suggestions or comments as to what
I might be missing/misunderstanding about the way the "Inplace"
Compression works?

Regards,

Jeff