db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Newsham" <jnews...@referentia.com>
Subject RE: backup destination
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:10:38 GMT

Thank you for the explanation.  I gathered this is what it is doing, I just
disagree with the implementation, because it imposes an extra constraint
which may be undesirable to some. If it didn't create an extra directory
level, the user could choose to create an extra directory level if they
wanted, or not if they didn't want. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I can
do a file move which doesn't require copying. I'll have to see if Java has
support for this. maybe File.renameTo() will accomplish this.

Jim

  _____

From: Manjula Kutty [mailto:manjula.kutty@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 11:01 AM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: backup destination

In Derby the your given db name is the same as the directory name. So if
your database named "myDb" is in c:\a, then the directory structure will
show as c:\a\MyDb and if you want that db (here MyDB) to be backed up in
a:\d derby will back up the whole MyDB (will not rename to "d"). So your
backed up db will be inc:\d and the directory structure for the backupdb
will be c:\d\MyDb. If this is not clear, more information is provided here

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/adminguide/

Thanks

Manjula