db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Tim Dudgeon <tdudg...@informaticsmatters.com>
Subject problem with ALTER COLUMN DEFAULT on VARCHAR column
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:20:59 GMT
I'm seeing a strange problem updating the default value for a VARCHAR
column. I'm, using:

alter table TABLE_NAME alter column COL_NAME DEFAULT 'new value'

and with some VARCHAR columns I get an error like this:

Invalid character string format for type long.; nested exception is
java.sql.SQLException: Invalid character string format for type long.
Caused by: ERROR 22018: Invalid character string format for type long.
        at
org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.types.SQLChar.getLong(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.AlterTableConstantAction.getColumnMax(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.AlterTableConstantAction.modifyColumnDefault(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.AlterTableConstantAction.execGuts(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.AlterTableConstantAction.executeConstantAction(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.MiscResultSet.open(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)

The strange this is that this only happens on some VARCVHAR columns.
Others update fine. And I can see no differences.
This seems to happen with 10.2.1.6 and 10.2.2.0.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks

Tim