db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Alexander Trauzzi" <atrau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Security in Derby
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:27:07 GMT
This is all very helpful.  I will make a few notes however that you can take
away from this...

The method to implement encrypted passwords is far too complicated and
involved for someone like myself who just wants to set up a secure server.
This is mainly because nothing is said about what has to be done client side
to ensure that the password being transmitted is what the server will end up
wanting.  Does the derby client network driver automatically encrypt
passwords once the property is placed in the connection string?

It seems like there is a glut of property settings being used here on both
client and server side and my wires are getting crossed trying to keep them
straight.  Ultimately this is impacting how easy it is to configure a derby
server.  Perhaps is there an index of connection string and server
properties somewhere?

How do I distinguish when a setting is for a database, or the system?

Do properties that I set via a configuration file get retained between loads
- as in, is it a needed only once thing?  Can I delete the file and still
have it's settings taking effect on a database between loads?  Entire DB
instance?

- Alexander Trauzzi

On 2/20/07, Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/20/07, Alexander Trauzzi <atrauzzi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Awesome, I'm glad I can collect all these hidden links, but the issue of
> per
> > user authentication, similar to what MySQL and other databases offer is
> > still blocking me.
>
> Perhaps the issue here is that the information you are looking for is
> not in the Server and Administration guide, but in the Developer's
> guide?
>
> Have you read through the "Derby and Security" section here:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/
>
> Specifically, to use Derby's built-in user authentication and create
> the users and passwords for a database:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/cdevcsecure42374.html
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/cdevcsecure21547.html
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/cdevcsecure864642.html
>
> e.g., to create a user 'andrew' with password of 'newderbyuser' you
> can call, in ij:
>
> CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY(
>     'derby.user.andrew', 'newderbyuser')
>
> Then to enable the builtin authentication, you need to start the
> database with the following properties set:
>
> derby.connection.requireAuthentication=true
> derby.authentication.provider=BUILTIN
>
> You can set these properties at the database level by calling the set
> database property procedure, e.g. in ij: CALL
> SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY (
> 'derby.connection.requireAuthentication', 'true' );
>
> and then shutting down the database engine and reconnecting to the
> database, as the derby.connection.requireAuthentication property is a
> static property. For a discussion of static vs. dynamic properties,
> see the Tuning guide, specifically:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/tuning/ctunsetprop44147.html
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/tuning/rtunproper27467.html
>
> If you are connecting to the database over a network, you should
> consider using a non-cleartext password security mechanism, discussed
> in the server and admin guide here:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/adminguide/cadminapps49914.html
>
> Anyway now that all the necessary properties are set, you need to
> connect to the database with the user and password you set, since
> authentication is enabled, by adding the appropriate user and password
> attributes to the JDBC URL, e.g. in ij:
>
> connect 'jdbc:derby:myDB;user=andrew;password=newderbyuser';
>
> Note that this puts the user by default into the schema of their own
> username. e.g. if you create a table foo after you log in, it will be
> in the ANDREW schema, i.e. ANDREW.FOO.
>
> You can find further details for setting up user authentication in the
> PDF that was linked earlier, and in the manuals, but those are the
> basics.
>
> Did that help?
>
> cheers,
> andrew