db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Alexander Trauzzi" <atrau...@gmail.com>
Subject Security in Derby
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:22:41 GMT
Greetings to all the Derbites in mailing list land.  I have a rather simple,
but potentially complicated question.

I grabbed a copy of the latest derby-bin distribution.  I ran the scripts
required to run it as a network server, just as a quick little test in the
console.

The first concern I have is that anyone seems to have the ability to connect
to my server and create databases?
I did a bit of searching with Google and also within the derby site and came
up with all kinds of very complicated and confusing recommendations to
"secure" a server.  Some were in the manual, referring to authentication,
others involved using a Java security manager.  Neither of which were
explained in such a way that I could easily absorb or put into practical
use.  Especially the Java security manager.

Is there any resource that is straightforward, concise and simple that can
help me set up a derby network server that authenticates based on
username/password pairs?  I'm talking MySQL-easy (anyone can set up a MySQL
server!).

Thank you to all who reply...

- Alexander Trauzzi