db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Olav Sandstå" <ola...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log size
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:55:16 GMT
On 05/02/07, Peter Ondruska <peter.ondruska@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/logformats.html I read:
>
>  RawStore exposes a checkpoint method which clients can call, or a
> checkpoint is taken automatically by the RawStore when:
>
>    1. The log file grows beyond a certain size (configurable, default 1MB)
>
> However I have not found a way to configure this (except changing the
> source code). Is there any undocumented property to configure this? I
> am loading huge amounts of data (GBs) and hope to gain speed using
> bigger log files (as in Oracle).

I think you can increase the size of the log files and the checkpoint
interval by setting the following properties:

derby.storage.logSwitchInterval
derby.storage.checkpointInterval

The default for the first one is 1 MB, ie. a new log file is created
for every 1 MB written to the log, and a check point is done for every
10 MB of log (every 10 log files).

Hope this helps,

Olav