db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dave Been <b...@us.ibm.com>
Subject How Derby uses file descriptors
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 17:30:09 GMT
Can anyone point me to any documentation on how Derby uses file
descriptors?
Searches show problems in merges when creating indexes over large tables,
but thats not my issue.

We have a large application which is already file descriptor intensive,
which is having problems embedding Derby due to its large file descriptor
use.
I am proposing adding yet another Derby database (or using the existing
one) and would like to know:

Is there anything the application can do to minimize the use of file
descriptors?
would long running transactions vs "autocommit on" have any effect on the
# of file descs used (e.g. length of transaction)?
Number of tables open
size of tables
use of PreparedStatements

Dave Been