db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Kelder" <thomaskelde...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "ERROR 40XD1: Container was opened in read-only mode" when performing SELECT DISTINCT on database in jar
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:39:20 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:
>> Hi Thomas -
>>
>> I looked into this further after I discovered inconsistencies in our
>> documentation and it making the change I suggested will not correct
>> your problem (though I still believe that Static properties need to be
>> set prior to loading the driver).  I am looking into this further but
>> it looks like a bug so far.  Thank you for reporting this and
>> supplying the easy to use test case.  I will let you know what I find.
>>
>> Stan
>>
>This appears to be a bug, possibly a regression.  When I converted your
>DB to10.0 everything worked fine even when I did NOT set the properties
>for tempDirectory and error.file (hmmm..).  When I switched to using the
>10.1  or 10.2 jars and accessed the very same database the 40XD1 ERROR
>happened.
>
>Since this is your discovery it is only right that you should file (e.g.
>get credit for) the JIRA bug report.  The instructions for doing this
>are at:
>   http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html
>  there is a document linked to this page that steps you through the
>process with screenshots.
>
>Please attach your DB and java program, include the link to this email
>thread (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.user/6123)
>and make note of the findings that this does happen using version 10.0.
>
>As I mentioned earlier - our documentation of tempDirectory is
>inconsistent and I will be filing a doc bug for that.  The PROPERTIES
>table in the Tuning guide lists this as a Dynamic property whereas the
>descriptive text of the property says it is Static - my guess is that it
>is static but someone will have to look into the code to tell for sure.

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your support, I filed a bug on JIRA as you advised:

Considering the static properties, do you know a way to set a static
property from within the java program before loading the driver (so
without using the derby.properties file or a command-line option)? The
only option I could find in the documentation to set the properties
programatically was to use a Properties object when calling
DriverManager.getConnection, but this requires the driver to be loaded
first.

Thanks,
Thomas