db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Single Transaction Using Multiple Method Calls That Open New Database Connections
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 01:26:20 GMT
Hi Sisilla,

You might look at using a java.lang.ThreadLocal to store the
Connection or some object that stores more state including the
Connection.

Since you don't have to pass the Connection through multiple layers,
it can make your code simpler and less "messy".

Craig

On Feb 15, 2007, at 9:24 AM, Sisilla wrote:

> Thank you very much, David. I appreciate your time and
> consideration. I chose
> to use one Connection Object and pass it to all my methods so no new
> connections were opened. It makes my code messier, but I don't know
> anything
> about JTA. Again, thanks for the suggestion. ~Sisilla
>

> David Van Couvering-2 wrote:
>>
>> If you're using multiple connections, then you need to use JTA to
>> have
>> it work in a single transaction, and your database driver needs to
>> support XA.
>>
>> If you're running in a J2EE environment with declarative transaction
>> management enabled, you're good to go.
>>
>> If you're running in a web container, you may be able to get a
>> reference
>> to a UserTransaction object through JNDI (look up UserTransaction in
>> Google).  Some web containers provide JTA support, others don't and
>> you'll need to get it from a third party.
>>
>> Others may provide details and/or corrections to what I say here, but
>> that's the general idea.
>>
>> David
>>
>> Sisilla wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I would like to update several tables in one transaction. The
>>> updates
>>> happen
>>> via several method calls, and each of these methods open new
>>> database
>>> connections. The methods also contain calls to other methods that
>>> open