db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Francois Orsini" <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: does derby provide SQL access management (grant and revoke permission)
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:26:04 GMT
On 2/1/07, legolas wood <legolas.w@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Manjula G Kutty wrote:
>
> legolas wood wrote:
>
> Hi
> Thank you for reading my post.
> Does derby support permission management for users ?
> for example can i define some users and then grant them some permission?
>
> Thanks
>
>  Yes , The latest Release 10.2 supports SQL Authorization. You can get
> more information regarding this in the latest manuals.
>
> Some of them are
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/ref/
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/
>
> Thanks
> Manjula
>
>  Thank you for reply.
> I tried and create a derby.properties file and put it bin folder of derby
> (it is derby home)
> I have derby.database.sqlAuthorization=true inside the derby.propertiesfile but i can
not use grant and revoke commands.
> here is my steps :
> -connect to a none existance database (I forced the server to create the
> database by using create=true)
> -create a table inside the database
> -grant some permission to another user using
>          *grant all on table2 to user2
> *
>
> what i get as an error is like :
> ERROR 42Z60: GRANT not allowed unless database property
> derby.database.sqlAuthorization has value 'TRUE'.

As Manjula mentioned, the derby.properties file may not be read. Have you
set the Java derby.system.home properly:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tuning/tuning-single.html#rtunproper32066

even i tried to set the variable by executing an sql command showed in
> manual but it does not helps and error stayed the same.
> here is sql statement that i execute using IJ
>
> *CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY(
>     'derby.database.sqlAuthorization', 'true');*

derby.database.sqlAuthorization is a 'static'  property -  You would have to
shutdown and re-open the database for it to be taken into account at the
next open after setting it -  Or just restart  the Derby engine after
setting it...either way.
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tuning/tuning-single.html#rtunpropersqlauth

*can some one help ?