db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: client/server vs embedded
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 23:17:49 GMT
Amir Michail wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are places in my app where I invoke an sql command many times.
> I've already gained a significant speedup by using prepared
> statements.
>
> Would it be worth moving from client/server to embedded as well? What
> sort of speedup should I expect?

Olav's ApacheCon US 2005 "Performance Analysis of Apache Derby"
presentation includes a comparison of embedded to client/server, which
you might find interesting. You can get to it from here:

http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/ApacheCon.html

> If I do make the move to embedded, is there any way I could use ij
> while the app is running?

Your app could use an embedded server, which means your app would load
the embedded driver for its own use and start the Network Server to
allow remote access by other applications, such as ij. An explanation is
here:

http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/ns_intro.html#Embedded+Server

regards,

 -jean