db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Security in Derby
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:06:30 GMT
Hi Alexander,

In terms of using a Java Security Manager, there will be better
out-of-the-box support for a secure network server in the next feature
release (10.3). That work is tracked by
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2196. Right now, you can
grab a generic policy file from the development codeline at
java/drda/org/apache/derby/drda/server.policy. I will mouse that file
into my reply. You will need to customize some variables in that file in
order to fit it  to your particular environment. I hope this helps.
Here's the moused-in server policy file:

grant codeBase "${derby.install.url}derby.jar"
{
//
// These permissions are needed for everyday, embedded Derby usage.
//
  permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "createClassLoader";
  permission java.util.PropertyPermission "derby.*", "read";
  permission java.io.FilePermission "${derby.system.home}","read";
  permission java.io.FilePermission "${derby.system.home}${/}-",
"read,write,delete";

//
// This permission lets you backup and restore databases
// to and from arbitrary locations in your file system.
//
// This permission also lets you import/export data to and from
// arbitrary locations in your file system.
//
// You may want to restrict this access to specific directories.
//
  permission java.io.FilePermission "<<ALL FILES>>", "read,write,delete";
};

grant codeBase "${derby.install.url}derbynet.jar"
{
//
// This permission lets the Network Server manage connections from clients.
//
  permission java.net.SocketPermission "${derby.drda.host}:*", "accept";
};