db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "A. Rick Anderson" <ar...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse Plug-in Lab code is failing to find driver in derbyclient.jar
Date Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:07:11 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> A. Rick Anderson wrote:
>> I'm getting a "driver not found" exception when running a relatively
>> trivial derby program from within eclipse.  It's frustrating because I
>> can crack the derby.jar file and the targeted driver class is in the
>> derby.jar file that is in the build path for the project.
>> private static final String derbyClientDriver =
>>     "org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver";
> The client driver is usually in derbyclient.jar, not in derby.jar.
> It's the *embedded* driver that is in derby.jar.
> Could that be the problem?

I hit the send button a little too quickly.  You are correct.  The
client driver is in the derbyclient.jar file, not the derby.jar file.
Unfortunately, at least from a debugging perspective, they are both in
the build path of my project.

I've gone back and literally stripped the entire lab to the absolute
minimum below, but I am getting the exact same behavior.  It throws an
exception when I attempt to get the ClientDriver connection.

This seems to be related to the Eclipse plug-in, because I was able to
do all of the "Getting Started" labs from the command line without any
issues.

Has anyone else been able to complete the lab associated with the
Eclipse Plug-in for 10.2.2?

package org.apache.derby.plugin.lab;
import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.DriverManager;

public class Jays2 {
    private static final String derbyClientDriver =
       "org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver";
    private static final String derbyClientURL =
       "jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/jayDB:user=APP;password=APP;";

          Class.forName(derbyClientDriver);
/*dies*/ Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(derbyClientURL);
          conn.close();
    } // method main

} // class Jays2

--