db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: getColumn( table.field) / getInt( table.field )
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:30:56 GMT
Diego Zanga wrote:
> 2007/2/15, Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradbury@gmail.com>:
>> Diego Zanga wrote:
>> > hi!
>> >
>> > I've seen there is some problem to use a syntax like
>> > resultset.getString( "TABLENAME.FIELDNAME" )
>> > 'cause it works only with
>> > resultset.getString( "FIELDNAME" )
>> > ( with every getXXXX method, even getColumn)
>> > is there a workaround to allow table.field syntax
>> > to identify columns?
>
>> The Java API doc lists columnName or columnIndex as the parameters to
>> use with ResultSet.getString.  Do you know if the JDBC specification
>
> yep, however near all the database implements as columnName
> the single <columnName> or <table.column>: reading the derby
> sql syntax i tought even this db has this syntax
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/ref/
> -> it works in a select, it doesn't while getting the field value
>

>> states that columnName references support TABLENAME.COLUMNNAME
>> syntax?   If so then please file a bug in JIRA to get this corrected.
> i'm going to check it :O) when i found where's the references
> documents :OP
> (i've no idea, but hope to find 'em with google)
> however can tell me where (address) i could then file it in JIRA?
> (i've never submitted a bug, if it's a bug)
>

> cya, Thanks :-)
Hi Diego -

This page describes how to file a JIRA entry.
   http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html
  there is a document linked to this page that steps you through the
process with screenshots.

Note that the method syntax we are discussing is JDBC (the JAVA database
API), not SQL.  Derby supports tablename.fieldname syntax in it's SQL
layer.  I believe that SUN microsystems maintains the JDBC standard.  I
believe you can find the documentation here:
     http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/database/index.jsp

Also, be aware that the 'other' databases are not written in JAVA and so
may not work as closely with the JAVA standards as Derby does.  Part of
our charter is to be standards compliant so that people can move to and
away from using Derby without encountering syntax problems like what you
are reporting.  It seems you may have been bitten by a non-standard
extension to another vendors JDBC driver implementation.