db-derby-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "ERROR 40XD1: Container was opened in read-only mode" when performing SELECT DISTINCT on database in jar
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:05:32 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:
> Thomas Kelder wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I now perform a query like "SELECT DISTINCT FROM ..." on this
>> database, it produces the following exception:
>>
>> ERROR 40XD1: Container was opened in read-only mode.
- SNIP -
>>   
>> Thomas
>>
> Hi Thomas -
>
> I looked into this further after I discovered inconsistencies in our 
> documentation and it making the change I suggested will not correct 
> your problem (though I still believe that Static properties need to be 
> set prior to loading the driver).  I am looking into this further but 
> it looks like a bug so far.  Thank you for reporting this and 
> supplying the easy to use test case.  I will let you know what I find.
>
> Stan
>
This appears to be a bug, possibly a regression.  When I converted your 
DB to10.0 everything worked fine even when I did NOT set the properties 
for tempDirectory and error.file (hmmm..).  When I switched to using the 
10.1  or 10.2 jars and accessed the very same database the 40XD1 ERROR 
happened. 

Since this is your discovery it is only right that you should file (e.g. 
get credit for) the JIRA bug report.  The instructions for doing this 
are at:
    http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html
   there is a document linked to this page that steps you through the 
process with screenshots.

Please attach your DB and java program, include the link to this email 
thread (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.user/6123) 
and make note of the findings that this does happen using version 10.0. 

As I mentioned earlier - our documentation of tempDirectory is 
inconsistent and I will be filing a doc bug for that.  The PROPERTIES 
table in the Tuning guide lists this as a Dynamic property whereas the 
descriptive text of the property says it is Static - my guess is that it 
is static but someone will have to look into the code to tell for sure.


Mime
View raw message