db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to rename a field?
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 03:38:03 GMT
Dan Scott wrote:
> Renaming columns will be possible in the as-yet-unreleased 10.3.0
> version of Derby according to

Hi Dan, thanks for the nice words!

I just wanted to suggest a couple other ideas that might help in the meantime:

  - define a view, and have your program access the view rather than the table.
  - create a new table, copy your data from the old table to the new table,
    drop the old table, and then rename the new table to the old table.

These are definitely more cumbersome, but until we get a release of the
code with the DERBY-1490 changes, they might help.

thanks,

bryan