db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Re: Single Transaction Using Multiple Method Calls That Open New Database Connections
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:14:25 GMT
If you're using multiple connections, then you need to use JTA to have
it work in a single transaction, and your database driver needs to
support XA.

If you're running in a J2EE environment with declarative transaction
management enabled, you're good to go.

If you're running in a web container, you may be able to get a reference
to a UserTransaction object through JNDI (look up UserTransaction in
Google).  Some web containers provide JTA support, others don't and
you'll need to get it from a third party.

Others may provide details and/or corrections to what I say here, but
that's the general idea.

David