db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Tuning Derby: OutOfMemoryError
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:47:27 GMT
Tim Troup wrote:

>> May I ask which JVM (vendor and version) you are using? I find it
>> strange that you run out of heap space in this case, but this of
>> course depends on what heap settings your JVM is using... (and what
>> you do before executing that delete statement).
>>

> I am running Mac OS X 10.4.8 with the JVM provided by apple:
>
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-112)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-64, mixed mode, sharing)
>
> I haven't made any modifications so I assume derby sues some default
> heap size.

Given the version information above, I assume your default max heap size is 64
MB. But I have no experience running Java on Mac, so I cannot say for sure.

> I don't do anything proir to issuing the delete statement beyond
> starting up the server.

OK, that's interesting. Do you know roughly how many tuples are in your tables?
I've never seen a single (delete) statement using as much as up to ~60 MB heap
space before. Can anyone explain this?

If the problem persists, it would probably help to provide a small, reproducible
test case.

--
John