db-derby-user mailing list archives

From legolas wood <legola...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: does derby provide SQL access management (grant and revoke permission)
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2007 20:59:39 GMT
Manjula G Kutty wrote:
> legolas wood wrote:
>
>> Manjula G Kutty wrote:

>>> Yes , The latest Release 10.2 supports SQL Authorization. You can
>>> get more information regarding this in the latest manuals.
>>>
>>> Some of them are
>>>
>>> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/ref/
>>> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Manjula
>>>
>> Thank you for reply.
>> I tried and create a derby.properties file and put it bin folder of
>> derby (it is derby home)
>> I have derby.database.sqlAuthorization=true inside the
>> derby.properties file but i can not use grant and revoke commands.
>> here is my steps :
>> -connect to a none existance database (I forced the server to create
>> the database by using create=true)
>> -create a table inside the database
>> -grant some permission to another user using
>>          *grant all on table2 to user2
>> *
>>
>> what i get as an error is like :
>> ERROR 42Z60: GRANT not allowed unless database property
>> derby.database.sqlAuthorization has value 'TRUE'.
>>
>> even i tried to set the variable by executing an sql command showed
>> in manual but it does not helps and error stayed the same.
>> here is sql statement that i execute using IJ
>>
>> **CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY(
>>    'derby.database.sqlAuthorization', 'true');
>>
>> can some one help ?
>> **
>>

> First thing , you have to make sure that the derby.properties is
> getting read. Also for granting all previleges the correct statement is
> grant ALL PRIVILEGES on <table name>  to <user name>;
>
> Please don't forget that while giving the table name you have to
> prefix it with the schema name.
> example: grant ALL PRIVILEGES on mkutty.t to user1; where t1 is the
> table name and mkutty is the schema name I used.
>
> Please post if  you are still getting the error.
>
> Thanks
> Manjula

Hi Manjula.
I have some technical questions,
- What is differences between a database that have SQL authorization and
a database that does not have any SQL authorization? I mean is there any
changes in schema structure?
- Can  we create a database with SQL authorization enabled in a server
environment without any property related to SQL authorization in
derby.properties?
- Is it possible to enable sql authorization for a database that is
created without any sql authorization ?

We have a database that has no SQL authorization because we were not
aware of this future in derby 10.2 and now we want to add SQL
authorization to it. I connect to database using a server that its
derby.properties has all SQL authorization property enabled, but we can
not execute any grant or revoke statement on it.

Thanks.