db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Tim Troup <Tim.Tr...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Tuning Derby: OutOfMemoryError
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:04:01 GMT
Hi,

> Which version of Derby are you using?

I am using Derby version 10.2.1.6

> I think you can set the DERBY_OPTS environment variable before
> running the startNetworkServer script in order to tune the heap
> size of your server JVM.
>
> E.g. (unix/bash):
>
> export DERBY_OPTS="-Xmx128m"

Thanks for the tip I will try this now

> (this will set the max heap size to 128 MB, and hopefully the
> problem will go away - although the root cause is still there. If
> it doesn't help, try setting a higher max value).
>
> May I ask which JVM (vendor and version) you are using? I find it
> strange that you run out of heap space in this case, but this of
> course depends on what heap settings your JVM is using... (and what
> you do before executing that delete statement).

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.8 with the JVM provided by apple:

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-112)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-64, mixed mode, sharing)

I haven't made any modifications so I assume derby sues some default
heap size.
I don't do anything proir to issuing the delete statement beyond
starting up the server.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Tim