db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: renaming columns
Date Sat, 30 Dec 2006 06:58:23 GMT
On 12/29/06, Ralf Wiebicke <ralf.wiebicke@exedio.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering, that such a fundamental feature is not yet available in the
> latest release. I noticed derby, because its included in Java 6. So I
> thought, it's mature enough to support it in my project. All other databases
> I use do support renaming columns. I'm not yet sure, whether I want to work
> around this problem, or wait for the next release.

Before the decision to open source Cloudscape as Derby had been made,
an effort was already underway to make its SQL syntax more compatible
with DB2 UDB. The DB2 UDB version which was current at the time, v8,
did not support renaming or dropping columns.

After Derby was open sourced, rename and drop of columns quickly
became one of the most voted for items in JIRA, probably because most
other database systems support it. A volunteer chipped in and now both
rename and drop have been reimplemented in the trunk (thanks, Bryan!)
and will be available in the next feature release.

There are several workarounds which have been posted in previous
threads. As an interesting side note, DB2 UDB v9 now has drop column
support, but still no rename column. :-)

cheers,
andrew