db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Frustration: lack of alter table functionality
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:06:40 GMT
On 12/8/06, David Van Couvering <david@vancouvering.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that improvements are planned for the next release,
> 10.3.

Altering a column to change its null / not null constraint [1], as
well as the default value for a column [2], made it into the recent
10.2.1.6 release.

Alter table drop column has been checked into the trunk [3], although
there remains an issue when using alter table drop column with SQL
authorization [4] that remains unresolved. It was decided that there
was an acceptable solution for changing the data type for a column
with the combined above functionality, see the discussion in
DERBY-1515 [5].

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-119
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1491
[3] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1489
[4] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1909
[5] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1515

> I'm not sure where we stand on the date for that release - anyone
> have any info on the expected release date?

At the moment, I don't think there are any concrete plans for a new
feature release. Anyone interested in contributing to new features or
release planning should subscribe to the Derby development mailing
list and join the discussions there.

andrew