db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Schatten <ala...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: renaming columns
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:32:50 GMT
Paul J DeCoursey wrote:

> I personally don't mind the limitations and sometimes welcome them.
> They force me to be more forward thinking in my db design. And for
> most things Derby is perfect, I use it most often for quick
> prototyping and proof of concept builds. Then when it comes time to
> build out production systems I will often move to a larger Database
> product. I often find that Derby works fine even in production
> environments.  You just have to think ahead about what changes to the
> structure could happen down the road.

Hm...

there are some advantages Derby has (mainly considering ACID), but
considering your scenario I really wonder why you would want to accept
this considering there are systems like hsqldb and H2 and One$DB that
offer these features with some drawbacks (hsqldb) that are mainly
relevant for production systems???

this I do not get. I actually want(ed) Derby because I could also use it
in the production system, but this is obviously not such a good idea at
the moment...

Alex