db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Schatten <ala...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: renaming columns
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:21:29 GMT
I was recently extremely disappointed and annoyed too, as I could not
believe, that such a fundamental feature is missing; what's even worse
is the fact, that deleting of rows is not possible (can you imagine
that, when you worked with mySQL, PostgreSQL, hsqldb, ... before??) and
so on.

I would highly recommend you check the alter table syntax and think of
the consequences, when you use the current version.

So when you have to do minor modifications on the schema you are
actually often in deep sh... because all workarounds are unbelievably
laborious (check out the tips I received recently). This is terrible,
particularly when you are working on the database schema in development
time. However, this is nothing you want to do if you want to keep some
kind of efficiency in development, and it is also not a risk I want to
take in case I have to restructure a running database instance.

*I* am listening to the newswire and hope for the next release, but for
now, I changed back th hsqldb and I am monitoring H2.

best greetings

Alex