db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: unique columns must be nullable ?
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:12:26 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:
> Out of curiousity what behavior does Hibernate expect when 2 nulls are
> inserted into a "unique" nullable column?

That's my issue with unique nullable columns too.  If it were to be
truly unique you could only ever have one null in that column for the
entire table, which would all but make it pointless to set it to null.

In any case I usually use a join table for optional 1-to-1 relationships
anyway.  It provides better forwards compatibility.  For instance, if
you ever have to upgrade that relationship to 1-to-many, you won't need
to migrate anything.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll