db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: unique columns must be nullable ?
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:36:21 GMT
Hi,

I ran into the same problem (not in the context Hibernate): I tried to
define a unique index on a nullable column which does not work with
derby. Here is what the derby doc says in the CONSTRAINTS section:
UNIQUE  Specifies that values in the column must be unique. NULL values
are not allowed. (see
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/rrefsqlj13590.html.

Is there any specific reason for not supporting unique for a nullable
column? I find it useful to be able to specify a column may or may not
have a value, but if the value is set it must be unique.

Regards Michael

> On this page http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/HibernateHelp
> it says:
>
> "Hibernate Annotations do not work because Derby does not allow a unique column
> to be nullable"
>
> Is this (that Derby's unique column must be non-nullable) still true ?

Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33		Buelowstr. 66
Fax.:++49/30/2175 2012		D-10783 Berlin