db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Paul J DeCoursey <p...@decoursey.net>
Subject Re: Frustration: lack of alter table functionality
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:17:00 GMT
Alexander Schatten wrote:
> thank you for your hints, I was doing something similar with huge
> effort, but after this experience, I invested some hours and switched
> back to hsqldb, this is---sorry to say---by far more convenient for
> development purpose. similar restructuring with hsqldb took me
> seconds. It is really impossible to develop with a database, where
> restructuring is not feasible, and at the moment I have to say, it is
> even worse to roll out with a database under such conditions.
>
> I think I wait for the next release and will then probably change back
> to Derby. the hsqldb concept with the script file is just perfect for
> development issues.
>
> I really hope for the next release of Derby...

Maybe I'm in the minority but I've never had issues.  While in
development I never do alter tables, I drop the entire database and
rebuild the entire thing including test data using scripts. It's far
easier and I can ensure that it will react as if a new install each
time. I also put a lot into testing and planning to be sure that my
final results will not need altering after deployment. And when it has
come up where I needed to alter something after deployment I build a new
database and copy data into it.  That isn't ideal, but it's clean.

Paul